Inspired by Tynan and Tim Ferriss, among others, I’ve tried to pack as minimally as possible. I thought I did reasonably well on my month-long trip to Israel and Egypt, fitting everything into a small backpack and a carry-on duffel bag. I did, however, make some questionable choices, most notably bringing a leather jacket with me.
This trip will be six months longer, and I’ll be taking about half as much. Everything fits into my Deuter Futura 28 liter backpack. Here’s what I’m taking:
- 2 Icebreaker Men’s Tech T Lite shirts
- Icebreaker Short Sleeve Velocity Crew
- Icebreaker SuperFine Hooded Shirt
- Icebreaker Long Sleeve Chase Zip Multisport 200 Base Layer
- Under Armour UA Guide Zip-Off Pant III
- Under Armour Hundo 1.0
- Diadora soccer shorts
- 2 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxers
- Everlast compression shorts and shirt
- Marmot Mica Jacket
- Cabela’s Dry-Plus Ultra Pants
- 2 injinji Performance Mini Crew Toesocks
- Cabela’s Tap Cap belt
- Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove shoes
- Homemade Invisible Shoes
- Thunderhorse trucker hat
- Nike Sport Knit Castro hat
- Barnes & Noble NOOK Color, rooted with CM7 Android. This has pretty much everything, including a several-thousand song karaoke library. It is missing a microphone, so there is no way to make Skype calls. It’s in a rooCASE.
- Canon EOS Rebel T2i with EF-S 18-55mm Lens and EF-S 55-250mm Lens and a couple extra batteries. I considered trading in my T2i for something smaller after reading this, but decided to keep it. I have it in a Mountainsmith Kit Cube case that takes up a third of my backpack.
- Digital Foci Picture Porter 250 GB Digital Photo Manager. It works fine, but the interface is pretty awful. I’m not expecting it to be anything more than a hard drive.
- Universal International Travel Plug Adapter and Outlets To Go Power Strip with USB
- Ultimate Ears 200 Noise-Isolating Earphones
- Timex Ironman Watch
- Kiva Key Chain Pack and Key Chain Sling. The Kit Cube fits in the sling perfectly, turning it into a camera case.
- Aluminum water bottle
- Petzl PS Tikka 2 Headlamp
- Aviator sunglasses
- MSR Packtowl
- Light My Fire Titanium Spork
- Columbia Grooming Tool
- Lewis N. Clark TSA Cable Lock
- Lonely Planet Central America (Shoestring Travel Guide)
- Red Versa-Loop Long resistance band
- Ultra-Star flying disc
- Glow-in-the-dark lacrosse ball. When I bought this a couple years ago, I had the following conversation with the cashier:
Me: I’d like to purchase these lacrosse balls.
Her: Cool, do you play lacrosse?
Me: No, I’m going to sit on them.